Sunday, December 22, 2013

All Hail The Sweater Weather

Sweater Weather: The Retro Girl's favorite kind of weather. Nothing in the entire world can compare to the feeling of putting on a cozy little sweater, some lipstick, and a beanie. The moment I woke up and looked outside to find little traces of snow, I immediately ran outside like it had been my first time seeing snow. Living on a little island has its perks, but nothing will ever replace the feeling of snowflakes falling into your fingertips and dancing in its showers. Snow brings happiness and happiness equals cute style. Would you want to dress up all festive if you were not happy?? my point exactly. 
Snow=Style, end of story.


I happened to be shopping back in Honolulu a few weeks ago and I saw a look on a mannequin at J. Crew that I could not wait to try once I got home. The mannequin had a blouse with a stiff collar covered with a burgundy sweater. The sleeves were rolled up to cover the cuffs of the sweater and the collar was poking out on top. I could not get this picture out of my mind and that mannequin happened to be my muse for this outfit. 


 This look consisted of: 

American Eagle Outfitters Light Wash Denim Button Up
American Eagle Outfitters Teal Crop Sweater
Gap Black Jeggings
Betsey Johnson Black Combat Boots with Ruffle Detail
Michael Kors Statement Watch
Gap Off-White Beanie
Lancome Red Lipstick 

This look was far more edgy than how I usually style myself but it seemed to be the perfect snow day look.  

I was so happy that I was able to take the look that I saw on the mannequin at J. Crew and create it for myself using clothes that I already had. As much as I wanted to go and buy an entire new winter wardrobe to wear for my three week home visit, I knew that I needed to use my clothes that I already had. By taking your own spin on new trends, you can make any thing happen without going out and buying completely different pieces to emulate trends perfectly. There is no right and wrong when it comes to personal style. Just make it you and have fun with your wardrobe.


Being able to finally break out my FAVORITE Betsey Johnson boots and my statement Michael Kors watch brought an instant smile to my face. Those two are some of my go to pieces to jazz up any outfit. On top of that, the feeling of wearing a sweater again was beyond comparison. Snow brought me happiness and I was so happy to see a winter wonderland at last. 

Bundle Up and Find Your Sweaters My Fashion Friends!

Till Next Time!
Xoxo
-The Retro Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment