Monday, November 18, 2013

Nomadic Melodies-Artist on the Rise

Chloe Bray- A college freshman who has an impeccable talent for song writing. I had the privilege of meeting Miss Bray a few summers back and she wowed me with her ability to entertain. Although the girl I witnessed on stage was a naive fifteen year old, Chloe has managed to make her dreams happen with her new EP release, Nomadic Melodies. I have followed Chloe via youtube (@CandO103) and have seen her grow and expand her music. I had the opportunity to interview Chloe and let you all get to a little about this up and coming artist.



Q: Tell me a little about yourself
A: "Im 18 years old and currently a student. My friends make fun of me cause I am listening to music almost 24/7. (mostly indie, alternative, singer songwriter, folk, some chill wave, and classics like Frank Sinatra and Billie Holiday) I am very extroverted at times but also can be very introverted. I love going out with friends, playing pranks, and laughing until our stomachs hurt…but I can also sit with a good book and a cup of herbal tea for hours. I would consider myself a good cook but am a terrible baker. I absolutely love meeting new people and making new friends. I am pretty free spirited but also kind of an old soul at the same time."

Q: When did you first start song writing and performing?
A: "I wrote my first song when I was 11 years old. It was by no means a super impressive song, but it was funny because my mom didn't believe that I had written it. She didn't officially believe that I had completely written a song on my own until I wrote my second song and showed her."

Q: What was your inspiration behind your recent EP Nomadic Melodies?
A: "(Don't read this mom and dad), no just kidding. Its actually a funny story. I had gotten in trouble or gotten in some argument with my parents and they had grounded me for the weekend. Thats when I wrote Nomadic Melodies. A lot of my songs have a small bit of truth or story behind them, I just greatly exaggerate events or emotions that happen in the songs to create a story. I took the emotion that I was feeling at that time, enhanced it, and ran with it to create the idea of someone that finds happiness in freedom. My parents always mess around with me like 'See! It was good that we grounded you because you wrote that song!' "

Q: If you could perform a duet with any artist, who would it be and why?
A: "Ah man, this is such a hard question to answer. Probably Matt Corby. He is such an amazing and timeless musician. The combination of his voice, lyrics, and melodies are so impressive to me. I also am a huge Sufjan Stevens fan. It would be so fun to collab with him and see what kind of stuff we could come up with. He is a prime example of someone who stays true to who they are as an artist."

Q: What is your favorite current fall trend?
A: "I love love dark maroon or plum lipsticks. It is such a fun way to make any outfit that much more dynamic."

Q: What advice would you give to young artists looking to succeed in the entertainment industry?
  A: "A lot of people think success means molding yourself to what the buyer wants, or what the label wants. If you truly stick to your style and music, people will listen. I believe that all people appreciate good music, some people just don't know how to find it. Don't think that you have to change to be successful! stay true to who you are as an artist. People will respond positively."

Q: What lead you to the success you are now receiving with your recent EP release?
A: "It is seriously so humbling to see the response that I have had, because I really didn't know what to expect with the release of my first EP. I have to first and foremost contribute a majority of the success to all of my YouTube channel viewers. They are seriously so awesome and have been following since day 1 when I was a little awkward 13 year old. Also, Instagram has been a great way to get the word out that I released it. ( @chloe_bray_ ). I think that people like songs that they can relate to. A lot of my songs have room for interpretation, so people can find a little bit of themselves in each song."


Q: When did your career really start to take off and lead you to the release of this EP? What moment changed everything?
A: "Coming to college, everyone starts figuring out what they want to do for a career and starts working toward that. I had put off actively working on a career in music because I felt that I wouldn't be taken as seriously as a songwriter if I was a young teenager. Also, it has been a process really finding who I am, and what my style is as an artist. It has definitely changed over the years as I have gotten older.  I feel like I have reached that point where I have found my identity as an artist and am ready to pursue it! As I see everyone around me beginning to work towards a career I have really felt that fueling desire to start getting things going with my music and trying to expand my experience as a songwriter."




It has been such a pleasure to know Chloe and I hope you all can check out her new EP release on iTunes, Nomadic Melodies.

Till Next Time!
Xoxo
-The Retro Girl 

No comments:

Post a Comment